If you are wondering what the average salary is in India or how much it will cost to hire the workforce in India, we have you covered. It is essential to your career, So you need to know about the average salary for the selected job in the country in which you are residing.
We decided to write an article providing you with data about the average salary in India.
We discuss the average salary in India and around the world. The monthly average wage is around ₹35,000. If you found this shocking, read this article and learn how India compares to other developed countries in terms of average salary, hourly wage, percentage of earnings, and salary comparison by cities.
The Indian economy is showing signs of growth as India is still one of the leading countries in Asia for average wage growth. Also, knowing about the average salary for a specific job in the country you are living in is paramount to your career. Pay varies significantly between different job profiles.
Salary largely depends on education, city, gender, age, experience, and country. Per the research conducted by experts, 57% of regular Indian employees earn less than Rs.10,000.
Later we compare each of them to see how we’re lagging behind the rest of the world.
What are the average salaries in India?
So read this article as it is going to help you choose the best career, you can read these tips to choose the right career for you.
Average Salary Around the World
Before we discuss the average salary in India, we must always look at how the rest of the world is doing. The world is divided into three categories, first, second, and third. The first world developed countries and the third world is a growing country. So allow us to see the average salary of some first-world countries.
First World Countries
- Switzerland- 5458.40$ – (₹4,29,333)
- Singapore- 3377.33$ – (₹9,265,645.56)
- Norway- 3231.72$ – (₹2,54,192.53)
- United States- 3209.00$ – (₹2,51,854.89)
- Germany- 2521.94$ – (₹1,98,364.44)
- Japan-2531.01$ – (₹1,99,077.06)
- Austria – $3500 – (₹2,56,637)
- United Kingdom – $3260 (₹2,39,039)
- Belgium – $3150 – (₹2,30,973)
Second World Countries
- China- 4534$ – (₹356624.01)
- Canada- 4433$ – (₹348679.81)
- Greece- 2040 $ – (₹160457.21)
- Poland- 1100$ – (₹86521.04)
- Hungary- 1020$ – (₹80228.60)
- Russia – $2100 – (₹1,53,982)
- Turkey – $1931 – (₹1,41,590)
Third World Countries
- Thailand- 631.40$ (₹49663.08)
- Philippines – $310 (₹22,726)
- Egypt – $599 (₹43,913)
- Indonesia- 331.97$ (₹26111.26)
It was about the average salary around the world, you must have an idea of the average salary across the globe, and you will be able to compare it easily with India. Now we will look at the average salary in India and how it has been increasing over the years.
The average salary in India
The average salary in India is increasing yearly, which is good news. The minimum wage for unskilled workers in different states ranges from Rs 2,250 (minimum salary) to Rs 70,000 (maximum pay).
A person working in India usually earns around $477 (35,000) INR monthly.
Salaries range from $109 (8,000) INR (lowest average) to 145,000 INR (highest standard, the actual maximum wage is higher). The average monthly wage includes housing, transport, and different benefits. Salaries vary drastically between other careers. If you are in the pay of a selected job, see under for salaries for specific job titles.
If we talk in dollars, it will be around $300. The average salary is around Rs. 16,000, which states that half the population is earning less than this amount, and half the population is earning more than Rs. 16,000. Everyone wants to be on the right side of the graph, making more than Rs 16,000 of the average salary.
The best part is that the salary in 2019 is 2% higher than in 2018. There has been a slow but steady increase in pay for the last few years and the coming year. The average wage in India is comparatively low compared to the west, but it is increasing continuously, which is a good sign.
When we talk about the average salary, it is also essential to know about the average hourly wage in India, as it will give you a clear picture of the economy and career growth in the country.
When you break down the list of the average salary for various sectors, then
- Professional Services rose by 12%,
- Energy by 12%, Hi-Tech by 11%,
- Financial Services by 10.5%,
- Pharmaceuticals and well-being Services by 12%,
- Medical Life Sciences by 12.5%
- IT and ITES by 11%,
- Consumer Goods by 11.5%,
- Chemical by 11%,
Average Hourly Wage in India
Hourly wage means the wage paid in hours worked. Mainly, jobs are into two categories, one is salary, and the other is hourly. In compensation, you get a fixed income, and in the hourly job, you get a paycheck on an hourly basis.
The formula used to calculate the average wage in hours is, Assume five working days in a week and eight working hours each day, and then we calculated the average hourly wage. The average hourly salary for all jobs is around Rs 96, meaning that a person in India earns an average of Rs 96 per hour worked.
|Percentage of People||Earn this salary or more|
Average Salary for Different Jobs
As you understand the average salary in India is $341 to $478.
Now we need to break it down for different jobs.
- Accountant – salary (₹ 11,109 )
- Administrative Assistant – salary (₹ 8,641 )
- Architect -salary (₹ 14,812 )
- Attorney – salary (₹ 23,658 )
- Biomedical Engineer – Salary (₹ 13,990 )
- CAD Drafter – salary (₹ 12,344 )
- Cashier – salary (₹9,258 )
- Chartered Accountant – Salary (₹ 14,195 )
- Chef – salary (₹ 13,373)
- Chief Executive Officer – salary (₹ 37,031)
- Chief Financial Officer – salary (₹ 3,945 )
- Civil Engineer – salary (₹ 14,812 )
- Computer Technician – salary (₹ 12,549 )
- Creative Director – salary (₹ 16,664 )
- Dentist – salary (₹ 39,087 )
- Developer / Programmer – salary (₹ 14,400 )
- Electrical Engineer – Salary (₹ 16,047 )
- Elementary School Teacher – salary (₹ 11,314 )
- Engineer – salary (₹ 14,812 )
- Executive Chef – salary (₹ 14,400 )
- Flight Attendant -salary (₹ 14,195 )
- General Manager – salary (₹ 28,803 )
- Graphic Designer – salary (₹ 11,314 )
- Hotel Manager – salary (₹ 24,275 )
- Human Resources Manager – salary (₹ 22,631 )
- Internal Auditor – salary (₹ 16,869 )
- Journalist – (₹ 16,047 )
- Legal Assistant – salary (₹ 11,726 0
- Mechanical Engineer – salary (₹ 16,047 )
- Nurse – salary (₹ 12,961 )
- Pharmacist – salary (₹ 18,516 )
- Photographer – salary (₹ 11,109 )
- Pilot – salary (₹ 19,545 )
- Police Officer – salary (₹ 12,961 )
- Project Manager – salary (₹ 18,516
- Receptionist – salary (₹ 11,931 )
- Sales Manager – salary (₹ 25,717 )
- Sales Representative – salary (₹ 10,697 )
- Secondary School Teacher – salary (₹ 13,373 )
- Secretary – salary (₹ 8,845 )
- Teacher – salary (₹ 12,549 )
- Teller – salary (₹ 11,109 )
- Travel Agent – salary (₹ 13,373 )
- Waiter / Waitress – salary (₹ 9,875 )
- Software Engineer – Median Salary ₹894,897/-p.a
- Retail Store Manager – Median Salary ₹397,000/-p.a
- HR Manager – Median Salary ₹750,000/-p.a
- Civil Engineer – Median Salary ₹478,000/-
- Lectures or Professor – Median Salary ₹1,400,000/- p.a
- Personal Banker – Median Salary ₹427,000/- p.a
- Sales Officer – Median Salary ₹306,000/- p.a
- Web Designer – Median Salary ₹635,000/- p.a
So we jot down an inventory of white-collar jobs and their median salary in India. Salaries may differ from city to city.
Salary Comparison By Cities
Salary Comparison by Years of Experience
The experience degree is a potent factor in figuring out the salary. Naturally, the extra years of experience, the upper the salary. Now you have an entire image of salary in India and worldwide. So you need to know the place we stand.
So for comparison, take the salary of a software engineer in the US. and India. As you know, the salary of a software engineer in the US is 12 times of the counterpart right here in India.
If the median salary of a software engineer in India is around ₹894,897/ then in the US, it’s around ₹70 lacs to ₹80 lacs per annum. Even if you take the cost of living, which is four to five instances excessive in the US compared to India, still, there’s a huge gap.
Why is it so?
Properly one motive is there are too many software engineers in India, so the salary is low. Nevertheless, they are much less in the US, so they pay you extra. Nonetheless, you can see the difference.
Wrapping up with What’s the Future of salary in India
Lastly, we have to discuss the future of the average salary in India. Properly! We hope the average wage in India rises as the economy grows. Nevertheless, it’s essential to understand that salaries for some sectors would likely stay stagnant due to market and government policy.
As mentioned in the above blog, the average salary in India is increasing rapidly yearly. Salary may remain the same for some sectors, and some may rise due to market and government policies. Thus, you must be cautious and wise while choosing a specific career, as a lot depends on how much you get paid.
What is the average salary for a person living in India?
A person working in India usually earns around $477 (35,000) INR monthly. Salaries range from $109 (8,000) INR (lowest average) to 145,000 INR (highest standard, the actual maximum wage is higher).
What is a good salary for India?
If we talk about the average, considering all the factors, it is a decent salary with an average standard of living of around Rs 35,000 per month. All expenses like transportation, groceries, personal fees, and much more.